[Dixielandjazz] Guitars and 4/4 beat in New Orleans Jazz

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Dec 24 14:40:40 PST 2006

Pages 259-263 of listmate Dan Hardie's excellent book EXPLORING EARLY
JAZZ give as well documented and thorough discussion of the 2 beat vs.
fl;at four question as I've seen, and he comes down lightly on the side
of earliest jazz being the former. A new article by Jack Stewart in the
current issue of The Jazz Archivist is interesting but to me, unclear
on the matter.

Charlie

P.S.-- Though Steve doesn't imply this, the Louis quote about "that
good old New Orleans 4/4" has sometimes been cited as if his comment
alone settles the matter. I'm as convinced as most people that Louis
was the first fully realized jazz musician, but that doesn't mean that
all of his words and views were accurate.