[Dixielandjazz] Gota River Jazz and Uptown style

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 23 15:03:26 PST 2006

Listmates--
I read rapidly thru the WA posts, so maybe I missed the response to someone's
inquiry as to what "Uptown New Orleans" jazz style might be.  I won't attempt the
technical definition part.  Just to mention that IMO a very good example of this
style played VERY well is by the Swedish group---Gota River Jazzmen.  I have
four of their CDs--very pleasant listening.  I live on the west coast of USA so I
haven't seen them in person.  And yes, I like all styles with the exception of extreme
modern (like free jazz).

I have this question for the European members.  When the tour of several years ago
that produced the WA documentary was made -that many of us have seen ( I don't dare
mention the band leader's name).  Was the tour well publicized?  And did it cause
any discernable interest in "old time jazz" at the time?  Especially among the audiences
that appeared to have little knowledge of the music?

Ken Gates