[Dixielandjazz] Roy Eldridge clips

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 23 15:06:17 PST 2006

I started googling for Roy Eldridge after posting about him. Found out that
he issued an album with the Jimmy Ryan All Stars in 1975. This was his
preferred group.

Roy Eldridge - Trumpet and vocals · Major Holley - Bass · Dick Katz - Piano
Eddie Locke - Drums · Joe Muranyi - Clarinet · Bobby Pratt - Trombone.

You can hear short sound clips at:
http://www.emusic.com/album/10605/10605360.html
You can hear him singing on Bourbon Street Parade.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. His Dixieland stint was also an example of black swing players going
back to Dixieland in NYC in order to make a living after the big swing bands
broke up for lack of work. Others who did this were Vic Dickenson, Herbie
Hall, Jonah Jones, Hot Lips Paige and a host of others. Conrad Janis mixed
many of these players into his New Orleans Revival Band a decade earlier and
the resultant mix of "Kansas City Blues influenced N.O. Revival/Condon Style
was some of the best music I ever heard.