[Dixielandjazz] Friendship

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Dec 22 19:24:18 PST 2006

To all my DJML Friends:

  Far less often than we should do so do most of us stop and actually
think about the value of our friendship.

  Today I stopped and thought about mine, hope all of you can find some
time in thee next few days and well into the future to stop and reflect
on your friends and enjoy them.

 Friendship:

 He is my friend, she is my friend.

  The profound implications of these statements are sometimes hidden
within the simplicity of the words.

  I was at a party not too long ago, and looked across the room at one
of my friends. I realized that this person takes up a space in my mind
and heart. It almost feels like a physical location that is occupied by
him. This space was made by experiences, and the resulting value he has
in my life. I started to look around at other friends this way. I found
they have similar locations that they occupy in my heart and mind. I
told this to a brain scientist friend of mine, and he confirmed that
this description is actually very accurate in terms of how our brains
work.

  I have lost several of my dearest friends in the past three years and
several good ones on this list. One of the curious things that I
noticed after their passing was that their space was still occupied by
them. I will hold their space as long as I live. Their turf in my heart
and mind is sacred, and will always be treated as such. They after all
are my Friends.

  All of you have "some land and space" in my mind and even some of you
in my heart :))

  Thanks and I am profoundly grateful to be blessed with so many
friends, now if I could just remember all of them at the same time :))

  To those friends who went to the big Jam session in the sky, still
have space as well, and I will always be thankful for the good and even
disagreeable times we spent on this great list of folks.

  Happy Heartfelt Holiday Greetings to you all, and here's wishing you
all health wealth and happiness for 2007.

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band
http://www.sonicbids.com/StGabrielscelestialbrassband