[Dixielandjazz] So who's this Jim Cullum...?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Dec 22 15:08:25 PST 2006

Hi Paul:

    Yes something like that, certainly not trying to downplay any of
their skills or success, and admittedly I came into the genre late, but
I am also a person who thrives and scours all sorts of music for good
stuff, so I was trying to say that somehow they just never seemed to
surface anyplace I was looking.

And no argument about the Media Sharks,  they usually don't come out
until the poor souls die and only then to be hip enough to give them a
line or two of print in the Obit section.   This however does lead up
to what i was also trying to get across about the artist and or their
representation to keep hammering constantly at the media, and planting
stories and then mailing those stories to the others who might be
ignoring them etc.   It's tough job for certain, but if it is not done
soooooo many great artists just seem to fade away until we hear about
them dying.

We saw a start at it again with the Ken Burns series and all the hype
about it, that is the kind of thing that in my opinion NPR should be
doing a lot more of and they already have Jim Cullum to help launch it
and perhaps if they were to expand it and exploit the music more it
would continue to grow and the other forms of media might get on board.
  The one thing is for certain that if we all don't push them they
won't.    Where there is a will there is always a way!  maybe many have
just lost the Will or maybe never even had it and are just content to
rest on their laurels and play for fun.  Heck I don't know, just trying
to stimulate others to help push it anyway and everywhere they can no
matter how small a paper, magazine, internet radio, blogs, websites or
TV  on local cable stations etc, who are always begging for
programming.  I just think there is a lot more available out there for
all of us if we just get and remain creative with our marketing and
promotion.

Cheers  and Happy Holidays to you and yours and ll listmates and their
kinfolk and friends.

Tom Wiggins

Here is a new marketing tool for all ya'll to use this next year:

"FREE DJ"   yes that's right  "FREE DJ"  when you hire our band to play
for your WEDDING, PARTY, OR SPECIAL EVENT.

HECK TAKE A CD PLAYER ALONG AND PLAY IT DURING YOUR BREAKS AND HAVE a
friend make their announcements and such for the first dance, parents
dance, cake cutting or whatever they want announced.  Pay a high school
kid $40.00 to do it if you have to, better to pay the kid and get a gig
for four five six or more real musicians,  :))

Take back your gigs the same way they took them from you.    Fight back
 Kill A Dj a Day.

Go advertise yourself at the Wedding Fairs this way and see how much
work you will pick up,

I am training my dog to DJ  FOR NEXT YEAR :))