[Dixielandjazz] So who's this Jim Cullum...?

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Fri Dec 22 12:10:02 PST 2006

Tom, I think you're asking something like "If these guys are supposed to
be the top of the heap, why haven't I heard them until now?"

Indeed.  I think the answer isn't so much that OKOM hasn't made efforts
toward publicity -- that certainly *has* happened -- but rather, the
smell of money isn't in the water, so the media sharks' feeding frenzy
hasn't been triggered.

Even Louis Armstrong, with all of his charisma and public recognition
(not mention the efforts of Joe Glaser) rarely attracted the attention
or the money that follows most pop stars of the last 50 years.  Louis
certainly made out all right, but the big pop stars got *much* more
attention.

How much of stardom is really just a self-fulfilling prophecy?  I mean,
among the ones who can handle it, and don't self-destruct.

-- Paul Edgerton, who wonders where pop music would be today without the
Autotune plug-in for ProTools.