[Dixielandjazz] So who's this Jim Cullum...?

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Dec 22 09:24:06 PST 2006

Tom,

Sorry about the lack of radio signal over the East Bay hills, but
KFJC.org has been doing Internet "broadcast" since the technology was
made available. We ran a Dixie-Cup & a String to a site in the UK
that was then sent out to the world. Now we have several levels of
connection speed (from dial-up to high speed) and listeners all over
the world.

http://www.kfjc.org/netcast/index.php

I think the reason KFJC works well at getting OKOM out to "the youth"
is that besides speciality shows like mine, the "regular" DJs have an
amazing amount of freedom to choose music from our truly vast
library. Eclectic is what the station is all about - you are probably
not going to like everything (some of it is deliberately horrible
noise!) but mixed in there are outstanding pieces of music from all
over the world. Our audience has come to enjoy that mix - it is what
attracted me to the station as a listener back in 1978.

The DJs are trained to back-announce everything and playlists are
available on the website. Many of the DJs have particular musical
interests that lead to special features or programs. We are not NPR -
everything is programmed by our own staff.

I have stopped doing my regular show for several reasons, but I am
now part of a  show called "Jazz Collectif" on Tuesdays 10AM to 2PM
PST - a group of DJs that explore various kinds of jazz - old and
new, and everything in between.

Dave Richoux