[Dixielandjazz] So who's this Jim Cullum...?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Dec 21 23:37:37 PST 2006

Hi David:

  I am well over fifty and I think maybe you missed the point of my Post
totally just like most of these fine artists that I discovered when I
joined this list missed it 20 years ago, they never made it to the
mainstream Unwashed Public Audiences, NPR is not the mainstream radio
and TV no matter how much many who watch it may think it is. Neither is
Prairie Home Companion, another program that I found only recently from
my brother in law who live in the country.   Yes I know it has been
around but I never had a reason to go search it out and see what it was
all about, why because it was not promoted in the mainstream ion
metropolitan markets sufficiently enough to reach guys like me.   Now
how the Heck are we ever gonna get the hip hoppers and rappers  heavy
metal heads, punk rockers, and such indoctrinated to this music ?
Obviously it is up to forward thinking guys of my generation to find a
way to communicate this music to them and go out and expose them to it.

  And I might Add I have been out in the Public and the entertainment
industry for well over forty years in several genres of the music
industry, so if all these great guys could be functioning under the
radar for that long and I never ran into them or heard of them my
statements ring pretty true:

  Somebody never promoted them properly to the mass audiences but rather
secreted them away into the semi private social circles of the OKOM
societies etc. which means they are still not known in the Real WORLD
OUTSIDE THEIR circle of admirers in this little world.

  So anybody out in the world who never heard of OKOM or had never heard
or been exposed to a Dixieland Band would have no idea who these guys
are no matter what they have been doing within the parameters of their
own little world.

  Case in Point as much as I like and admire him for what he has
accomplished, I would venture to say that You could Bring all of them
to San Francisco on the same Bill in a major venue and you could not
get a 25% audience at normal concert venue ticket prices.

  Especially if you did not advertise them to all the Trad. Jazz
societies at lower prices, which means that all of the older folks in
this genre prior to my finding it simply sold it out cheap and crawled
off into semi obscurity under the Preservation umbrella. Preservation
Hell you have all been killing it and sending it to a far premature
Death.

  If all the so called preservation societies would get out and really
aggressively PROMOTE this music and events like their existence really
depended upon it they could, but from what I have seen and been told
and read in the past 20 years it has been just the opposite, status quo
and diminishing returns have dictated that they do nothing more than
what they have been doing as their existing audience keeps getting
older and dying off.

  And I have also read post on this very list about these fine players,
working and scrounging for chump change gigs while being revered as
Monster players, and being the cream of the crop of OKOM. So why are
they not on tours selling out 3000 to 10,000 seat venues at
$30.00 a seat and upwards. I am sorry Dave but Somebody, perhaps a
whole generation or two of ya'll simply missed the boat on promoting
this genre of music. And now that another Johnny Come lately Wynton
Marsallis came out and did it correctly and literally took over the
scene in NYC what has happened to all the great Monster players, yet so
many on this list jump immediately out to criticize him and Ken Burns
for giving this music another kick in the ass and breathing some real
life back into it so that these guys can continue to find gigs and
actually work.

  Where are the folks from your generations that own radio and TV
stations and still actively operate music programming for this music,
and or have ANY influence over those who do own and operate the
stations. Where are the venue owners and operators who promote it live ?

  A one hour a week or month station does not constitute Radio
Programming guys, and what are they doing to attract new listeners, not
much because they are relegate to miniscule spots and stations that
almost nobody a=can find or receive anyway. Heck one of my favorite
stations came out of Alameda KJAZZ and it is gone, and the best one is
the one List mate Dave Richoux worked at , and I can't even get a
signal where I live.

  Why aren't these fine monster players performing on the major JAZZ
FESTIVAL ALL OVER THE WORLD and why have they not been doing it for the
past 20 years. well for one reason Jim Cullum has been tied down to a
STEADY gig at Riverwalk, a good thing yes but not without it's
consequences of which we are now discussing. And please don't anybody
get me wrong about what I am saying here, I am not disrespecting Jim
Cullum or his decision to do it his way. So many of the older guys OF
THE PREVIOUS DECADES dreamed of getting a STEADY GIG and not having to
travel and play to a different audience every night live out of a
suitcase etc. However most of the bands with real fire in the belly and
touring as lean mean musical machines are long gone in this genre.

  Many have actually become complacent and boring doing the same old
stuff night after night to the same audience in many cases, people are
fickle at best and move from club to club to club in search of
something new. Being a monster player does not guarantee that they will
be so loyal as to come out night after night to spend money to see and
hear you, hence the need to constantly promote to new people and
acquire new audience members to replace them and keep the cash
registers ringing. Other wise the joints empty and the band gets laid
off again and again and goes form one joint to another as the OKOM
scene continues to shrink and get harder and harder for them to even
eek out a living as a professional musician.

  Trust me David I am on everybody's side here, just trying to motivate
everyone to do more and more before it is indeed too late and guys who
have caught the spirit of the music from my generation get burned out
and give up the cause to further the genre.

I close by saying in a respectful way that all of these fine players
are regionally popular acts, but outside their circle are still
relatively unknown except to an astute OKOM festival circuit crowd,
which is basically the same people traveling over and over in semi or
full retirement in a loosely knitted social club getting together to
hear their favorite and often ONLY kind of music.

 Cheers,

 Tom