[Dixielandjazz] http://www.purevideo.com/video-turk%20murphy

Bob Shoring bobshoring at california.com
Thu Dec 21 23:30:34 PST 2006

My thanks to Bob Romans for his posting about the videos of Turk
Murphy's Jazz Band at
http://www.purevideo.com/video-turk%20murphy
They are great, and it is wonderful to be able to see them as they are
playing.

I'm pretty sure two of the tunes ("Mandy, Make Up Your Mind" and "My Heart") were captured in New York the weekend of the big "Turk at Carnegie" event around January, 1987.  Judging from the sound and the musicians, I believe these two were made the night before he played at Carnegie Hall, probably at the Hyatt Hotel, where a special party was given in Turk's honor.  I believe Jim Cullem played a big part in putting this event together.  It is significant in that it was one of the last times Turk performed on trombone.  He was already ill with cancer and died about 4 months later.

Along with Turk on trombone, Bob Schulz is on cornet, Ron Deeter (I believe) in Clarinet, Bill Carroll on Tuba, Bill Armstrong (I think) on Banjo, Jim Maihack on Piano, and most likely Wayne Jones on Drums.

While I captured the audio off the radio in 1987, it is sure a nice surprise to be able to see them!

Thanks!

Bob Shoring