[Dixielandjazz] Filmmaker or Musician?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 21 16:11:57 PST 2006

Someone wrote:

>> But I think they're doiong it on the wrong list. Mr.WA is not a musician,
>> he is a filmmaker who ACTS as a musician.

> ALOHArose at aol.com answered
> EVERYONE is missing the point.   WOODY ALLEN just LOVES JAZZ and he LIVES it.
> keeps him the one who is doubly blessed.

I think you nailed it, ALOHArose. For those who are not aware of Woody
Allen's background, he was a musician, however good or bad you think, before
he became a filmmaker. He started around age 14 and got the nickname "Woody"
a year or two later. (Woody Herman was his idol)

In between filmmaking activities, he tours with the band, and/or is at his
weekly gig in NYC.

He also makes no pretenses about his musical ability, readily admitting his
shortcomings. Judie was not wrong in her assessment of his ability  He does
surround himself with good or excellent musicians.

Most reviews that I've read over the years are two fold like the one posted
on the list. He is not a good player, the rest of the band is, and overall,
his audiences seem pleased. His solos draw applause. Perhaps because like
some experienced clarinet showmen, he grunts, groans, makes faces, and moves
around a lot. Some folks may see that as enthusiasm. (which he does have for
the music despite his dour and introverted personality)

He has been playing more or less steadily in NYC and on tours since the
1970s, making his, one of the longest lived New Orleans Jazz Band's in the
USA still under the same leader. And, after 30+ years, he still draws an
audience worldwide. That means . . . well, we can draw our own conclusions.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone