[Dixielandjazz] Woody and others--CARPY or CRAPPY?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Dec 21 13:42:23 PST 2006

Hi Charlie:

   I was referring to Larry's title of Carp,  I did not say or mean to
emphatically imply that all Carpy Bands were necessarily CRAPPY bands,
that would be in the ears and eyes of the audience, as I stated Carp
tastes good to many folks, especially when they put a bottle of
Louisiana Hot Sauce on it :))    To them it makes Crawdads taste almost
as good as Lobster too :))  And pigs feet as good as Pork Tenderloin.
I have even seen them served Pork Tenderloin and Lobster and they asked
for Hot Sauce to put on it :))  Do that long enough and you will
develop a sense of taste that says everything is not good without Hot
Sauce on it or if it does not taste like Hot Sauce.   After enough time
and a steady diet of the  same repetitive flavor whether it be in food
or music they simply expect it all to taste or sound the same and it
fortunately does not.

What sounds Carpy to some may indeed sound like Salmon to others, to
each or ( eat) your Own as they say !

Of course Charlie,  and it has been that way forever, and will no doubt
continue that way into the foreseeable future.

What I was trying to get across is that  sue to much of the really
Carpy music it has indeed led to the lack of  greater interest in the
better music, and many folks who have simply never been exposed to
anything but Carp don't even know what they are missing.

As for weekend players,  Again this situation and other factors have
pretty much turned all the Fish into weekend swimmers, but worse yet it
has turned many into Carpy bands playing on the worst nights of the
week since they can no longer BUY a good gig on the Weekend when even a
carpy band will draw some customers and will be hired every time by the
club owner because they may play cheaper and he is convinced that he
can fill the joint with a carpy band for a lot less money and make more
profit .

And yes I agree with you that some of those Great  "Professional"
players do count on the label to feed their egos often even more so
than maybe feeding their families, but so do the amateurs either for
ego or just extra money.  'Tis an argument that alas!  will never cease
so long as every guy/gal with an instrument and a modicum of talent
wants a place to express it for either reason.

Cheers,
Tom,  No Hot Sauce thanks, I wanna taste the Carp, so I can compare it
to the Salmon. :))

Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Woody and others--CARPY or CRAPPY?

   Tom, did you say CARP bands, or CRAP bands? :)

  Delicate topic? So many of us on the list (me included) are weekend
players and/or amateurs who might be judged as somewhat, er, carpy in a
blindfold test by fellow DJMLers. But so long as there are audiences
who dig this less-than-salmon quality music, we'll continue to find our
place on the planet for our own and others' enjoyment. It don't do no
harm, except when more skilled artists lose work to the less skilled
and when the latter get more gigs by playing cheap--a gripe often
argued on this site.

  A final point--"amateur" and "weekend" don't necessarily mean
carpy/crappy. Many a weekender plays with more feeling and skill than
many a professional. The tradition of the gifted amateur has roots in
the earliest jazz and parallels in other arts. It's sometimes
infuriating to the less-than-gifted fulltimers, who count on the
"professional" label to feed both their families and their egos.

 Charlie Suhor