[Dixielandjazz] Celebrity Musicians in general

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Tue Dec 19 22:28:45 PST 2006

Rather then being accused, as some are, of beating a celebrity musician
to death, I would just like to say that perhaps ironically Judie came as
close as anyone in coming up with what is the appeal of said musician to
draw large audiences of fawning customers while many of our excellent
OKOM musicians only draw flies?

" many may go just to see Allen up close and personal and not
particularly to hear him  play"  unquote

I think that says it all, but like some others on the list I will not
just drop it there. I was one of those who was warned long ago by a very
competent musician that I would not get my moneys worth if I went to
hear him as a musician.  Indeed, as a none musician, I would probably
have still gone and paid the price just to see him as a person. I have
followed him all his and my life, being of similar age.  I think too
much is being made of his qualifications as an accomplished musician.

Something most festivals and venues don't seem to understand, or forget,
is that people who go to such events are "celebrity mad", even in cities
like LA or NYC.  If they have a choice between SEEING a celebrity or
HEARING the world's greatest musicians they will pick the celebrity.  If
he or she happens to bring along with them some very competent
musicians, so much the better.

Conversely, if a festival or venue puts on an event and does not bring
in at least one celebrity that everyone knows, they can not expect a
large turnout no matter how good the musicians are. I am not talking
normal gigs or events at the local golf clubhouse. Major events.

One year at the LA Labor Day weekend festival at the LAX Marriott, I
came out of the small Hangover Room to check on how many people were
attending other rooms.

To my surprise the hallways were totally empty!  I think even the
sellers were gone!  Before I could feel sorry for the Director at the
time, I looked in one of the large ballrooms.  It was totally packed!
Wall to wall. People standing against the sides. Covering every inch of
this very large ballroom. EVERYONE was there from all the other rooms.
Largest audience I had ever seen at that festival. Why?

On banjo playing with some of his friends was George Segal who had
dropped in. He was not hired to play with the band that day.  I think he
was working on a movie or TV series. Should he have been hired?  You
figure it out.

The festival never did! Great personality too! Could he play or play
well? Personally I don't have a clue, and you miss my point totally.  In
appearance he was everything Judie and her mom could have asked for.
Sharp dresser. Big smile. Lit up the room literally.

Play on Woody. Maybe a few people like Judie will hear some other great
musicians they have not heard before and come back to the festival or
venues to hear more at a different time.  At a lower price.

As Bob Finch "famously" said when he saw a family with younger children
in the audience for Chicago 6 at one festival, "Thanks for bringing the
kids. The average age of our audience is usually dead."  That was many
years ago now. The average is now tipping even  more to one side.

Mad Dawg