[Dixielandjazz] Wonderful CD - Parenti and Wellstood

Audrey Van Dyke audrey at callitmusic.com
Tue Dec 19 21:48:29 PST 2006

A friend from this list sent me several CD's a few weeks ago.  There
were six, which was convenient, as the car will gulp six CDs at a time.
So I was driving along, listening, enjoying, when CD number three
started to play.  From the first few measures it had my attention.  By
the end of the first cut, I was frantically looking for a place to pull
over to check the liner notes and see who the heck I was listening to.
It was the trio of Tony Parenti, Dick Wellstood, and Sam Ulanaw (sp?
Don't have the CD in front of me right now), clarinet, piano and drums.
This was such powerful music.  Since then, I've listened to the tracks
recorded by this trio about a hundred times, and it has risen to the top
few albums in my personal poll.  Anyone else familiar with this record?
It includes Shreveport Stomp, Make Me a Pallet, and Eccentric, among
others.  And here's a neat thing about how it happened, that I'm sure
some of you must have also experienced.  I've always liked Dick
Wellstood very much, but in the past, before hearing something recorded
by him, I've always known it was him I would be listening to.  So you're
not completely sure whether advance knowledge of the musician's
reputation plays a factor in how much you are enjoying the music.  For
it to happen this way, of being stopped in my tracks and saying, "wow,"
then finding out who was playing, made it especially neat.  It's great
to be 50 years old, and still hearing things for the first time that
just blow you away.  And to think, I have friends who got to hear these
guys live, and in one case, play with them.  "Ah death in life, those
days that are no more."  (Sorry, I was a lit major)
Audrey Van Dyke