[Dixielandjazz] Critics and Fans

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Tue Dec 19 14:05:53 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Barbone" <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:45 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Critics and Fans

> "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote
>
>> Steve Barbone wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>>> Your understanding of what I said is not correct. The message of my
>>> view,
>>> above and through all my posts, is that fans and/or others should have
>>> the
>>> good sense not to attack musicians, by name, in a public forum.
>

>> Steve,
>>
>> I am still trying to understand your logic.
>>
>> Are you saying:
>>
>> Critics have the write to criticize musicians publicly but fans do not?
>
> No. I am saying "fans and others should have the good sense not to ATTACK
> musicians by name, in a public forum." Those words speak for themselves.

Steve,

You call what Judy said "attack."  But, what she really did is criticize.
Thus again I am asking you

Are you saying that critics have the write to criticize musicians publicly
but fans do not?

However, if you insist on using the word attack, then, often, critics attack
performers in print.

Are you saying that fans do not have the same right?

And, BTW, since when are most critics any more knowledgeable than some Jazz
fans?

A critic's review is nothing more than his/her opinion, as was Judy's
comments.

Best,
--Bob Ringwald