[Dixielandjazz] Words from, about and on Woody

LRG4003 at aol.com LRG4003 at aol.com
Tue Dec 19 12:47:53 PST 2006

In an interview with Woody Allen a couple of years back he said, regarding
his clarinet playing...

W.A.: I can't tell if I'm sharp or flat , the guys in the band say to me,
you're sharp. Oh really?

W.A.: I can play, not well, but I can play....I can improvise a little bit,
not great but enough for simple New Orleans music....

But sometimes fame trumps talent....

"They're treating him like  Elvis."
Eddie Davis, banjo player,  describing crowd reaction to Woody Allen's
clarinet playing during a European  tour, 1996

Finally, just an observation that he brings a lot of OKOM to a  wiser
audience through his films---"Sweet & Lowdown" being perhaps the best  and most
recent example.

k.c. clarinet