[Dixielandjazz] The right to advice other potential ticket buyers . . .etc.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 19 09:54:19 PST 2006

><jobriant at sunrisetelecom.com> wrote: (polite snip)

> On the other hand, if I pay the same high price to hear a particular
> musician, and that person simply does not play his/her instrument well,
> I believe that I have not only the right but the responsibility to
> advise other potential ticket buyers of what they will get for their
> money if pay a similarly high price to hear the same player.

Agreed, one has the right to say what one wants about a player/performer.
However, when one walks out of a performance, not hearing most of it, one's
views about the entire performance being good or bad, are invalid. The LA
Time review of that particular performance should be proof enough of that.

I can recall similar threads about Arturo Sandoval being terrible and
"nobody should go hear him", and "Pee Wee Russell can't play clarinet", Monk
sucks, Bird sucks, and on and on and on. Those opinions also are invalid
regarding what other people, potential ticket buyers or CD buyers think
about these musicians.

Point is that what you, or I, or anybody else "hears" or does not "hear"
with regard to a particular musician or performance may be, and often is,
completely at odds with what others will hear. Therefore we might carefully
consider what our responsibility to others is regarding trashing someone.

Opinions are like rectums. Everyone has one. And they are very personal.

Regarding the price, Tickets to see Woody Allen in concert range from $35 to
$65. IMO, that is not a high price. Ken Peplowski tickets at Lincoln Center
in NYC run as high as $137.50. Allen is no Peplowski, and the difference in
pricing reflects that, even though many may go just to see Allen up close
and personal and not particularly to hear him play.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone