[Dixielandjazz] Critics was Woody

jobriant at sunrisetelecom.com jobriant at sunrisetelecom.com
Tue Dec 19 08:22:28 PST 2006

Steve Barbone wrote:

> > > What I am sticking up for is the freedom of

> > > any musician to play any music he/she feels like

> > > playing. And for any fan to listen to it or not

> > > listen to it. And all I ask is that fans stop

> > > criticizing musicians just because they don't

> > > particularly like the music a musician plays.

Bob Ringwald replied:

> > So, as I understand you Steve, you are asking that

> > musicians have the freedom to play whatever they

> > want & fans have the freedom to listen to whatever

> > they want but fans should not have the freedom to

> > criticize?

Steve replied:

> Your understanding of what I said is not correct. The

> message of my view, above and through all my posts,

> is that fans and/or others should have the good sense

> not to attack musicians, by name, in a public forum.

I realize that there can be a pretty fine line between a "negative
review" or "unfavorable description" of a particular player's playing on
the one hand, and an "attack" on the other.

But I think we should recall that as the present discussion began, the
unfavorable description came from a ticket holder who paid a lot of
money - a LOT of money -- to hear a famous person play.  They paid that
money with a reasonable expectation of hearing a competent musician, one
who can at least play his instrument at a level of professionalism that
would command such a price.

In other words, if I pay the big bucks to hear a particular musician,
and that person plays well in his/her chosen style, the fact that I
might not care for that particular style isn't justification for me to
attack the player.  I might tell others that he played ok but I didn't
care for the style, but I wouldn't be justified in denigrating his
ability as a musician.

On the other hand, if I pay the same high price to hear a particular
musician, and that person simply does not play his/her instrument well,
I believe that I have not only the right but the responsibility to
advise other potential ticket buyers of what they will get for their
money if pay a similarly high price to hear the same player.

Jim O'Briant

Tuba

Gilroy, CA