[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen and the audience

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 18 18:50:07 PST 2006

Even at half full, I'll bet he drew, and kept more audience than your best
local Dixieland Band would have drawn and that's the bottom line.

Who else can you speak for about being "cheated" except yourself and your
mother? This is not about "you". It is about the other people who go to see
him and enjoy the experience.  Like I keep saying, your opinion is your
opinion. Fine. But it is not everybody's opinion. You, cheated? Come on, you
are a knowledgeable OKOM fan who had some idea in advance of what and how
Woody plays. What did you expect?

What I am sticking up for is the freedom of any musician to play any music
he/she feels like playing. And for any fan to listen to it or not listen to
it. And all I ask is that fans stop criticizing musicians just because they
don't particularly like the music a  musician plays.

Better that the fans should get the hell up on stage and try for themselves
to be "on" and "creative" and "pleasing" to everybody every night.

If you had heard Woody Allen previously, even on TV, and still went, then
you cheated yourself because you knew you wouldn't like it. You paid to hear
him perform. He performed. You walked out after the 4th tune. He fulfilled
his contract. You chose to leave. Sounds eminently fair on both sides, to
me.

Cheated? Nah, you got all kinds of mileage out of complaining about him.

Cheers,
Steve

>on 12/18/06 8:43 PM, JBruno868 at aol.com at JBruno868 at aol.com wrote:

>And when they walk out and feel cheated? There were no "Large >Numbers" at this
concert. Maybe a little over half of the seats filled. >I left during the
4th tune and my mom the 5th. I have no idea how >many might have left after
us.

>Feel Good music. I love it. I love OKOM and any type of music done >well but
this was not. When you can't hear but a third of the notes >because of the
squeaks, and the notes you hear are so sharp they >hurt your ears, this is
not "Feel Good" music in anyway and when >you wonder at the first tune if he
is trying to be funny and hope >that he is and that the next tune will be
better, only it's not, there is >no joy in the music at all.

>Stick up for him if you wish but I felt cheated and very much so. I >know good
music when I hear it and I didn't hear any from this >man.