[Dixielandjazz] Woody Allen

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Mon Dec 18 18:23:12 PST 2006

With the lengthy thread about Woody, I have dug out and listened to The
Bunk Project.  I find Woody's clarinet OK and what I would expect a
clarinetist in that style to sound like.  He did Burgundy Street Blues
and sounded just fine (IMO). None of the squeeks and squawks described
by the current reviewers.  I'm not a serious musician I just know what I
like and don't like.  I'm curious if Woody's playing has deteriorated,
with all these appearances he should have lots of practice.   Does
anyone know when The Bunk Project was recorded?  Just how old IS Woody?
I remember seeing Wild Man Blues and being put off by all the chit chat
about Woody and not enough music.  I see from the LA Times review that
he still has Eddy Davis, banjo and Simon Wettenhall, trumpet from the
Bunk Project.

It so happens that Woody and the band are appearing right here at the
Napa Opera House this coming Saturday night Dec 23.  I will be out of
town, and could not justify spending $150 to see them if I were here.
$50 or even $60 but not $150.  Now I see from the LA Times review that
he is appearing tonight (Monday) in Costa Mesa (where I used to live)
for $35 -$65.  Was this in error? Maybe a Monday night date is cheaper?
  I'll be interested to see if there is any review on the Napa gig.
None of the jazz  friends I have here were planning to blow $150.  I
once paid $29 to see Frank Sinatra and thought it was a lot at the
time.  On the other hand I wouldn't walk across the street to see Barbra
Streisand (sp?).  So much for star power :)

Don Robertson
Napa, CA