[Dixielandjazz] Davern

Marek Boym nmboym at 012.net.il
Sat Dec 16 13:26:55 PST 2006

       I heard Davern many times, with the Soprano Summit, and in other contests. The Summit played at the 1997 Nice jaz Festival my first exposure to the Summit live), and both Bob Wilber and Kenny Davern also played with other groups. now, you should know that they look as different as they can: Wilber is short and fair, and at that time sported a beard and had long hair; Davern was tall, dark haired, partly bald, and sported a big black moustache. Then, at a session with another group, the French MC announced: "on clarinet- Bob Wilber."  Later,when  the late Eric Townley,a respected British jazz writer, remarked about it, Davern quipped: "All white men look alike."
      I have just listened to my recordings from that festival - what a great musician, what a sense of humour!
      Cheers