[Dixielandjazz] Ahmet Ertegun - OBIT

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Dec 15 13:13:46 PST 2006

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Ahmet and Neshui at the Beacon
Theater in the early seventies with Jerry Wexler when I was just a
young booking agent on my first trip to New York City and my first
major concert production there at the Beacon.   The Dressing rooms were
up stairs and quite steep as I recall.  That weekend was indeed magic
and one I will never forget, as I had put together a show that brought
out all the Heavy hitters in the Industry and I had no idea until much
later how or why :))

I had found and convinced Dr. John to come out of self imposed early
retirement, when he was living in Los Angeles, something that even his
Manager had not been able to do wow was I surprised when I got there
and was told that Albert Grossman wanted to meet ME.   He was just
about God of the Management business at that time,  He managed, Bob
Dylan, Peter Paul & Mary, and and several other big artists form the
Wood Stock era.   Dr. John was still under contract to him , but had
not played a date since Woodstock.   Albert thanked me for getting Dr.
John to come out and go back to work.   Ahmet and Neshui, and Jerry
Wexler and Bill Cosby were all backstage having a great celebration on
my Dime :))

Ahmet was a wonderful gentleman and a great benefactor to many in this
industry, and many artists and producers certainly owe him their
careers, he will be missed along with Neshui  and Jerry Wexler, one of
the best producers I have ever met.  These fine men gave me the
inspiration and love of Black American Music.    Yes, R.I.P. Guys. and
thanks for opening so many doors for us younger guys who came later and
learned most of what we know from you guys.

Tom Wiggins

   R.I.P. Ahmet Ertegun

Steve, by one of those coincidences that happens in this life, I was
reading
Clayton & Gammond's book "Fourteen Miles On A Clear Night" (because of

arrived. There in line 3 is printed the name of Ahmet's elder brother
Nesuhi.

Bob Smith