[Dixielandjazz] Origin of the word "gig"

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Fri Dec 15 11:35:27 PST 2006

>From http://www.wordorigins.org/, we have the following:
"This brings us to the most common sense, that of a musician's engagement
or job. But the origin is not in music. The musical sense stems from a
usage meaning a business affair or event. From McClure's Magazine of
February 1907:
What's this gig about militia?
"A year later, the sense meaning a non-musical job appears. From Helen
Green's 1908 Maison De Shine:
"What's your game?" the Property Man's tone was rather unpleasant. "I'm
champion paper-tearer of the West," said Charlie. "I pass . . . what kind
o' gig is that?"
"The musical sense dates to 1926. From R.S. Gold's Jazz Talk of that
year:
One popular ‘gig’ band makes use of a nicely printed booklet

(Sources: Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition; Historical Dictionary
of American Slang)"

But http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=gig&searchmode=none says:

gig (2)
"job," first used by jazz musicians, attested from 1915 but said to have
been in use c.1905; of uncertain origin.