[Dixielandjazz] David Littlefield's Fake Books

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 15 07:38:03 PST 2006

"David W. Littlefield" <dwlit at patriot.net>

> Hi all. Since Jim Kash mentioned the "Firehouse Fake Book" as a source,
> I'll note that it and "Vintage Jazz Standards" are no longer available,
> which pretty much leaves my series at the top of the heap.
>
> "Dixieland Fake Book Vol. 1 & 2 ( C & Bb)"
> "30s-40s FB (C & Bb)"
>
> "Gig Book" is a handy miscellanea of standards, ballroom dances, etc., for
> OKOM musicians who never know when they're gonna get requests for waltzes,
> cha chas, etc. As one customer who ordered several copies wrote: "It has
> all the tunes I've ever wanted in a combo book".
>
> Those who have considered it, but decided not to get it because it was only
> available in C will be pleased to know that the
> Bb version will be available in a few weeks.

First the disclaimer. I swear that I have no financial interest in David
Littlefield's Fake Books. . .

Now the opinion. Sheik's books are at the top of the heap because they are
EXCELLENT. They are not only as accurate, if not more so, than any I have
seen, but reproduced beautifully in large sized, easy to read lead line
format with the chord notations.

I was reminded of this when Graham Martin asked how others play Muskrat
Ramble, and whether the A & C STRAINS used the same chords. After answering
off the top of my head, I then consulted David's Fake Book as well as Tex
Wyndham's Chord Chart Book to make sure what I said was as accurate as I
thought it was. (Old memory banks often err)

If you are a band leader and/or player who seeks to expand your repertoire
and/or polish up you tune arrangements, you really should have Sheik's set
of books. Or if you frequently use subs on gigs, they are invaluable in
getting the new man on board. Even the best of us sometimes use different
chords on familiar tunes and all in the band should be on the same page.

My only piece of advice is to use the "C" books, learning how to transpose
to the concert key, treble clef if you play an instrument tuned to another
key, or clef. Saves a lot of confusion in the long run.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone