[Dixielandjazz] Downloadble Kenny Davern Track on Traditional-jazz.com

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 14 09:44:31 PST 2006

Greetings Folks,
I've just uploaded a track of Kenny Davern with my Swing Band to my
website. It is in MP3 format and is downloadble and comes from the CD
Live & Swinging. It will be there for a week and is free.

The track (That's A Plenty) gives a good example of Kenny's unique
approach to playing OKOM as Steve pointed out in his essay. It was
recorded live in 1985 at a jazz club in Harlow Essex. Kenny insisted on
turning off all the PA microphones and he could be heard fully and
dynamically without any trouble at all.

The band had Roger Nobes on vibes - so I was a little nervous in case
Kenny thought he was expected to be in 'Goodman' mode. As I said
yesterday, he did in fact nod in that direction, but not the BG of 1935.
He quotes the BG of the late 20s with his opening chorus.

We did not have any rehearsal for the gig and it was the first time the
entire band had played together. Kenny led the session with authority,
dynamics and excitement.

The link is on my home page, together with a photo of a trio session we
did (with Martin Litton on piano) at the Royal Festival Hall in London.
http://www.traditional-jazz.com
click the icon to download the track.

Kenny was always happy to play traditional jazz standards, usually
associated with a three piece front line, with a small group. We played
(with the Trio) arrangements of Willie The Weeper, Chimes Blues,
Shimme-sha-Wobble and many other Dixieland classics.

One of his hottest recordings is a roaring trio version of 'Shimme'
recorded on the Jazz At The New School album in 1972 with Gene Krupa and
Dick Wellstood. Kenny played soprano sax on this session. The track
builds to a roaring climax, with Kenny being drive hard by Krupa, who
was in stunning form despite his illness. The price of the CD is worth
it for that track alone - but the session also features Wild Bill and is
the final session by Eddie Condon.

Kenny did have a fall out with Wild Bill over Pee Wee. Bill told me he
always felt he had to help Pee Wee out and preferred Ed Hall. He must
mentioned this to Kenny as Kenny  told me  that he said to Bill that he
felt he had to help him out when his lip failed.

Thanks for the music, Kenny
--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com