[Dixielandjazz] Video transfers for editing old VHS

Rocky Ball bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Mon Dec 11 16:52:33 PST 2006

Nancy:

Here's the way I understand it (and have done it) on my Mac. You need
an external piece of hardware that acts as an analog to digital
converter for video. Adaptec makes some pieces like this and another
company has something called Eye-TV and I know Sony makes some gear
like this as well called Canopus (http://www.videoguys.com/
ADVC.html). Here's a link for more info:

(http://www.macworld.com/2004/07/reviews/
firewiredigitalvideoconverters/index.php).

Search Google for this: "analog, digital video, converter, mac".

The type of file that iMovie understands is a "DV" file (Digital
Video) and the files stored on a DVD are NOT automatically in that
format... so burning to DVD from a recorder will not save you any
steps... if you do, then the DVD must be "ripped" and the files
converted to DV. These hardware devices (above) will capture the
analog video image and sound from VHS or a camcorder or TV Out and
will automatically convert it to a DV file and store it on your hard
drive. You can then load the clips into iMovie and edit to your
heart's content. When you're satisfied with the editing you can use
iDVD to create menus and burn the whole thing to a DVD.

If you want to go to a CD instead, you have 2 options (maybe more!):

1. Using Toast you can create what is called a VCD. Check the Apple
Mac OSX site under Resources -> Video for even more options, some
free, some shareware. The Japanese prefer VCDs to DVDs as a standard.
The VCD format, written to a standard recordable CD, can hold about
an hour of material and will play in many (but not all) DVD players.
The cheaper ones may not recognize it but the medium to expensive
ones will.

2. You can convert the video to a Quicktime movie and store it on a
CD like a standard data file but you will only be able to play it
back on a Quicktime-equipped computer. (Quicktime movie player is
available FREE for Macs and PCs from Apple and is superior to Windows
Media Player in almost every way.)

To learn even more, Google "VCD". Also, a free movie player called
"VLC" is available for the Mac that will play the VCDs on your
computer. Google "VLC" to learn more about that. If you do want to
take some video from a DVD use a free program called "Handbrake" that
will "rip" the contents of the DVD to files on your hard drive that
can be converted to DV and used in iMovie.

Good luck and have fun on your Mac!

~Rocky Ball
banjo and other stuff
Atlanta, GA