[Dixielandjazz] video transfers

Dick Miller Dick_Miller at pmug.org
Sat Dec 9 12:12:10 PST 2006

Nancy wrote:

Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:29:58 -0800
From: Nancy Giffin <NANCYink at surewest.net>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Video transfers for editing old VHS
To: Dixieland Jazz <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>

Hi

Perhaps this has been covered many times, but can any video experts out
there please direct me to info on how to transfer old VHS tapes to data
files on a CD that can be edited in iMovie or other similar application?

Love and hugs,
Nancy

==================================

Dick replies:

Here's how I did it:

1) Connect your VHS player's output jacks to an analog-to-digital
converter (I used a Hi-8 camcorder that played both analog and digital
tapes).

2. Connect the converter to your computer, usually with a FireWire
connection.

3. Set up iMovie to capture the footage.

4. Play the tape into your computer through the converter.

5. Use iMovie to edit, clean up, title, etc. the footage.

6. Save the edited movie in the appropriate format.

7. Burn the CD/DVD. (A CD may not have enough room to store a full-length
movie)

8. Play the CD or DVD in your player as a test to make sure you've got it.

9. I use an external FireWire large-capacity hard disk to archive the
clips I want to preserve.

Good luck!

--Dick Miller