[Dixielandjazz] Singing and Keys

Pam Munter pam at pammunter.com
Sat Dec 2 12:22:39 PST 2006

This may be amusing to some, news to others.  I have been astronished
at the number of musicians who do not know singers do not sing in one
key.  I was asked by a big band director (for whom I just began as
their new "girl singer"), "What key do you sing in?"  Uh.  He's a sax
player, so I asked him, "What key do you play in?"

Unfortunately, this ignorance is not unique.  In my own Dixieland
band where I play cornet and do the vocals, I have heard a musician
or two express surprise that I had to transpose a tune to fit my range.

Why do musicians, many of whom are superb on their instrument, not
know this?  There is also a prevalent belief that singers are not
musicians, that they do not read music.  We can all list many famous
singers who do/did not read music, but it seems to me it reinforces
the widely held belief that "anyone can sing" - that it requires no
training or expertise.  Amazing.

Comments?

-Pam Munter