[Dixielandjazz] Leon Prima's club, 1952

charles coleman charliew8fim at verizon.net
Mon Aug 28 19:28:18 PDT 2006

Hi Listees,    Could someone on our list help me indentify a saxophone player I photographed while a group of GI's were on a week-end pass from camp Polk, LA.   The events are obscured by 50 some years and a few drafts.   A group of us decided to hit New Orleans in late March of 1952.   (Don't report us to the C.O.)   We tried to hit most of the clubs, and when we got to Prima's I wanted to stay, but the other guys were ready to go.   I wanted a chance to talk to the sax player - he was incredible.  I did snap a pic with my trusty Pony 828, using superXX film, and it didn't turn out too bad.   However I didn't get the name of the group or the sax man.   Could this have been Sam Butera??   Or any other possibles?  Regards,     Charlie (still curious) Coleman