[Dixielandjazz] Required Reading

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Aug 28 14:36:37 PDT 2006

While some decry the trend of audiences listening with their eyes this is a
saying that My Commanding Officer used quite often regarding the AF band.
Everyone had to look sharp and put on a good appearance.

I have been on too many jobs where the appearance of the group was not a
priority.  Guys looking like sad sacks with scruffy tuxes or music stands or
equipment that had been through a war or the guy that showed up in jeans and
a t shirt for a wedding.  One guy showed up in a tux all right but had on a
white T shirt.  Too many musicians try to have a "look" that's cool but
sometimes it's just not.

On the other end of the spectrum is the band that thinks dancing around the
stage is cool.  I don't care for it personally but I seem to be in the
minority.
Larry
St. Louis