[Dixielandjazz] Re: Swingin' On Nothin'

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 25 17:55:37 PDT 2006

Dear Ed,
Although in semi-lurk mode, I couldn't resist helping out with your query
regarding one of my all-time favourite bands, led by Bob Crosby.
"Swingin' On Nothin'" (Sy Oliver-Moore) was recorded by the Bob Crosby Orch
for Standard Transcriptions in early 1942 (no positive date that I can find.
The session was available on Hindsight LP HSR-192 (which I have).
It had been a big hit for Tommy Dorsey who recorded the Sy Oliver
arrangement for Victor on 15 July 1941 with Sy and Jo Stafford as vocalists.
(I have this on CD.) TD redid it (minus vcl) for Decca on 26 May 1958.
Charlie Barnett recorded it for Bluebird on 14 Aug 1941, but I do not have
this.
I also recall a 1940s film/soundie clip of the Louis Armstrong orch with vcl
by Velma Middleton and someone (who?) from the band.
Unfortunately, following the repairs and renovations, my files and books are
still scattered around the house, so you will have to wait a few more days
for the finer details.
Kind regards,
Bill.