[Dixielandjazz] trombone slide lubricants

Michael H. Pittsley mpittsley at satx.rr.com
Thu Aug 24 19:42:46 PDT 2006

I'm a big advocate of using distilled water on a trombone slide.

For years, I used plain tap water; however, over a period of time, the
action of my slide began to deteriorate and I couldn't figure out why.  I've
always been fanatical about keeping my slide clean and properly lubricated.
It then occurred to me that perhaps the slide had developed a thin film of
mineral deposits that was impairing the slide action (I live in an area with
rather hard water).  To test my theory, I cleaned out my slide with a very
dilute solution of Lime-A-Way and water.  I completely rinsed out the slide
and then followed up with my normal slide cleaning and lubricating
procedure.  Wow!  The difference was dramatic.

The problem is that the build up of mineral deposits on a trombone slide are
so insidious and develop over such a long period of time that it's the last
thing you consider when the action begins to deteriorate.  I ran through the
entire spectrum of slide treatment and lubricating products and none of them
seemed to make a huge difference - then I tried the dilute Lime-A-Way
treatment and - Voila!  My slide has never felt better.

Slide-O-Mix and distilled water are my lubricants of choice.