[Dixielandjazz] RE: Maynard Ferguson RIP

Shortuba at aol.com Shortuba at aol.com
Thu Aug 24 14:39:37 PDT 2006

Hello all -

I am quite saddened to see that Maynard Ferguson has passed on.  When I
played in the Jazz Band at Northern Iowa in the early 1970s, he brought his band to
Cedar Falls quite a number of times (and even took a few of our players on
the road with him), so he had quite an influence on us.  I wore out the MF Horn
and MF Horn 2 LPs, I listened to them so many times.  To keep playing as long
as he did, with the health problems he had, spoke of his devotion to keeping
the music he played alive.  Even as recently as last spring, he came to one of
our local high schools and filled the auditorium.

He deserves his rest.

Mike Short
Party Gras Classic Jazz Band
Des Moines, IA