[Dixielandjazz] Slide positions was (Mini Trombone/Slide Trumpet)

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Tue Aug 22 02:51:12 PDT 2006

Hello Elazar,

I was surprised that your 3rd position on the trombone is adjacent to the
bell. On all my three trombones (King 4B, Blessing "Artist", and clapped-out
Blessing "Scholastic") the 4th position is nearer the bell than the third
position, although not by much. It's some time since I played a slide
trumpet, but as I remember it the positions were similar to the trombone
(but I don't have any accurate measurements for this).

Talking about pulling the slide completely off, I remember at the very first
dance that we played, I lost my hold on the slide when reaching for the
sixth position, and the slide shot off under the feet of the dancers. By
some miracle, nobody trod on it, and I was able to continue after
shame-facedly retrieving the slide. This happened more than fifty years ago
but I remember it as though it were yesterday.

Cheers

Bob Smith