[Dixielandjazz] Mini Trombone/Slide Trumpet

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Tue Aug 22 01:59:53 PDT 2006

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the good words.

I wouldn't be put off by list-mates' comments about the intonation of the
slide trumpet. Yes it takes some getting used to, but it is hardly
"impossible" to play. The thing that throws me is that 4th position is
adjacent to the bell, rather than 3rd on a regular bone. Also more than once
I've pulled the slide completely off while reaching for 6th or 7th position.
That sucker is less than half the length of a normal bone. But I have played
the thing in performances occasionally, and not just for laughs.

One nice bonus of the slide trumpet is that the positions produce the same
notes (an octave higher) as a tenor or bass bone, so you don't have to
transpose. You can get the trumpet sound while reading concert key music.

Blessings from Jerusalem,

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble