[Dixielandjazz] Re: Wheel Chairs at Festivals

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Sat Aug 19 18:24:00 PDT 2006

In a message dated 8/19/2006 5:59:39 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net writes:

Perhaps  there needs to be more input and
thought given to where wheelchairs can  best accommodate the disabled and
also not be in the way of those  behind.

I agree and with only one level for most venues  like in hotels, it needs to
be worked out. Again, the San Diego, Thanksgiving  Fest. has arranged the best
I have seen.

I am only going after these guys because of the  attitude and lies I was told
when I asked. First, I was told that it was a Fire  Law and I know that is
not true but the letter I was sent by one of the Festival  Directors, actually
defending their violations and have said that they will not  change. It's
really to bad. I did send one last letter to them asking if this  was their
"Finally Answer" and haven't heard back. I was also very disappointed  in Don's,
American Rag, defenses of them but then they are all good  friends.

The Mississippi Rag is going to do an article  regarding Handicapped Seating
and the laws so that in the future, they can  accommodate everyone.

As for putting on concerts in older theaters, it is  not the responsibility
of the Producers but the theater. There are laws to  protect those places that
were built before the laws came into place but for  removable seating, there
is no excuse. After all they can't be expected to put  in elevators at the
Pyramids. Lol

I would have been very happy had, when I inquired,  been told that they would
look into the laws but instead, felt as if I was being  lied too from the
beginning as if I was just going to except their replies and  if I was too stupid
to know the laws or wouldn't do anything about  it.

I plan to give them 2 months to reply about what the  plans are next year. If
I haven't heard back from them, I do plan to submit a  complaint. If the
problem continues next year, I will submit that also to the  Department of
Justice. They can be sued by them, not me, if the violations are  not corrected.

This is very much a OKOM subject as many here produce  festivals and concerts
and I wouldn't want anyone to find they are in violation  and get into
trouble.

As always, I am available to help anyone who wishes to  comply with the laws.

Jazz  Hugs

Judie