[Dixielandjazz] Kudos to Dave Robinson

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Sat Aug 19 14:09:35 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

We¹ve just finished the two Trad. Jazz Camps here in Sacramento, and I
wanted to share with you these words from Camp Director Bill Dendle about
our list mate, Dave Robinson.

I also know that next weekend, Dave will be taking his youth band, Capital
Focus JB, to the Crystal City Jazz Celebration in Washington, D.C., to join
an all-star lineup that includes the Allreds, Allan Vaché, Houston Person,
Phil Flanigan, Bria Skonberg, and others. Over the years, this band has
performed at receptions for the President, the Vice President, the Secretary
of State and many other dignitaries. Performance venues have included the
White House, the Capitol, the Kennedy Center, the Smithsonian, the National
Mall, the Pentagon, the National Cherry Blossom Festival, Bourbon Street and
Preservation Hall (New Orleans), jazz clubs in New York, London and
Amsterdam, and a variety of jazz festivals in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
The band was a hit at the prestigious North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague
last year. The band also has been featured in live performance on NBC's
"Today Show.² YOU GO, DAVE!

Love and hugs,
Nancy

Bill Dendle wrote:
³We were extremely pleased to welcome Dave Robinson, founder and president
of the Trad Jazz Educators Network, to the camp. Dave came all the way from
the east coast (on his own nickel) to observe the camp, document what
happens there, take photos and video, and ultimately to create an article
for the Mississippi Rag. As I said at the concert, I can¹t imagine anyone
more dedicated to introducing this music to young people, and getting them
interested in playing it. He has created a curriculum kit for use in middle
and high school music programs, and it is most impressive. It was a joy to
get to know Dave, to have him join in the evening jam sessions, and to know
that we can mutually support each other in our desire to see traditional
jazz become part of more young musicians¹ lives. We hope Dave will return
and participate more fully in next year¹s camp, and we thank him for sharing
his considerable experience and insight with us. Dave will be back in
February for the Traditional Jazz Youth Band Festival, which I hope everyone
will attend. When you see him, shake his hand and thank him for the good
work he is doing.²