[Dixielandjazz] New Musical DVD coming - One With Louis Armstrong

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 18 17:27:48 PDT 2006

Hello listmates,

When asked if he really thought European jazz bands were superior to bands
in the U.S.A., Cees van den Heuvel replied:

>No, my goal was to stirr up things and inform
>U.S.A-audiences what is going on in the rest
>of the world, jazz wise

Well -- in that case allow me to help stir things up a bit.

First of all, jazz was invented here in the U.S.A. because of the confluence
of elements necessary to engender a new art form - "jazz."  Those elements
still prevail in the U.S.A. more than in any other country on the face of
the earth.

Therefore, jazz is a constantly improving and evolving art form which only
American musicians are capable of producing.  Those in other countries can
only emulate the great music being nurtured in the U.S.A.

Everyone knows, for example, that German beer is always far superior to beer
brewed elsewhere on the planet. They invented it and are constantly
husbanding the art form. Others, such as brewmasters in the U.S.A. can only
learn and reproduce what German brewmeisters have evolved. A good example is
that American beer really sucks!

It's the same with rum in Puerto Rico, whisky in Scotland, and Chinese
cuisine in Beijing. Better there than wherever it is that you and I live.
We have to import it.

In the same way, Europeans must "import" their jazz from the U.S.A.

Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "historian" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

P.S. Some of you may disagree with my conceit outlined above but I have
tried to be objective and reasonable in my observations.  Perhaps not.

BG