[Dixielandjazz] audience??

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 17 09:45:32 PDT 2006

Hello listmates,

If a jazz band plays in a forest and nobody is there to hear it do they make
any jazz?

Statements such as ("one needs an audience in order to be "jazz") seem to me
to be somewhat illogical.

Didn't some band leader (perhaps Turk) say to the sidemen something like
"OK, we'll play one for the audience and one for us"?

Want to analyze what was actually said? Let me paraphrase . . .

"Ok, we'll play one for the folks who don't really know what 'jazz' is and
who think once you've heard 'When The Saints Go Marching In' you've heard it
all' and then we'll play one for the people who really know and appreciate
what jazz is all about . . . namely ourselves!"

As a musician have you ever had the experience when the band, for some
inexplicable, mystical, magical reason, transcended itself and really
cooked? Ever have that feeling that something miraculous just happened?  Was
the audience aware of it or did they just hear another jazz tune?

The musician playing is the ultimate audience. If the musicians are playing
jazz and there's nobody else there to hear it, so what! You're playing jazz
and that's good enough for you!!!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "What the hell was THAT?" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com