[Dixielandjazz] Communication in jazz

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Thu Aug 17 02:28:13 PDT 2006

Some years ago I read a science-fiction short story in which an astronaut was stranded on a remote planet with only a record playing device containing a goodly collection of Hot 5's, Hot 7's, and Red Hot Peppers tracks. He found a cave as shelter and played these records for company. Suddenly from outside the cave he heard the same records being played. Eventually he located the source as a tentacled monster that had copied and played the astronaut's collection. These two established a rapport and enjoyed each other's company until a rescue ship arrived and blasted the monster away in order to save the astronaut.

If anyone can tell me the author of this story and the book in which it appeared I shall be very grateful.

Cheers

Bob Smith