[Dixielandjazz] opening a can of worms

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 09:41:18 PDT 2006

Hi Cees, and all -

You quoted my statement - "U.S. Citizens know more about the rest of the
planet than the citrizens of any other nation -- if one compares citizens of
equivalent education and intelligence."

And then you made an observation about it - "Strange comparison....this way
you can manipulate every survey. (E.G. Scottish people are the tallest
compared to other people in the world wearing kilts..)

You realize, of course, that my statement was a simple rephrasing of
something another DJML contributor named Wendy posted . . .she said "U.S.
citizens  know less about the rest of the planet than the citizens of any
other  nation--if one compares citizens of equivalent education and
intelligence."

I simply changed the word "less" to "more" and threw it right back at Wendy.

Did you pick up on that? Did you pick up on the irony of my statement?

Now, Cees, you have said, and I quote: "I think the level of jazz in Europe
is  much higher than in the U.S.A. Most bands in Europe are just superiour
to  U.S.A.-bands."

May I respectfully respond by saying I think the level of jazz in the U.S.A.
is  much higher than in Europe.  Most bands in the U.S.A. are just superiour
to  European bands."

In all the above - what sort of debate is this? Rubbish! Doo Doo! Immature
and just plain stoopid!"

That's why I said "My old man can beat up your old man!"  This is on just
about the same level as anything else in these postings.

People - if we're gonna have intelligent discussion on music, let's at least
be reasonable!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "6th grade graduate" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com