[Dixielandjazz] opening a can of worms

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Tue Aug 15 17:43:59 PDT 2006

Cees van den Heuvel wrote:

"Europe embraced the jazz legacy in the forties, started to copy and
then started developing jazz on its own. Reading DJML I found out
there's a lot of unjustified patriotism in the U.S.A. I think the level
of jazz in Europe is much higher than in the U.S.A. Most bands in Europe
are just superiour to U.S.A.-bands. I know we all have to pay our debts
to the originators, but it is time to see the truth, so that we can
communicate on the right level."

There's no denying that many fine jazz bands call Europe home.  I'm
willing to agree that jazz has better support among the populace over
there than it does here in the US.  I might go so far as to allow that
there are some prominent, but not very good, jazz bands in the USofA.

Given all that, I wonder what data feeds your conclusion -- please tell
us about the great bands of Europe and what makes them better than the
bands of America.  And while you're at it, perhaps you can also identify
which American bands you're comparing them too.

Come on, name names!

(Notice I *didn't* take the bait on the "unjustified patriotism"
comment?)

-- Paul Edgerton