[Dixielandjazz] Defining "Jazz"

Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 07:58:02 PDT 2006

   After thinking about it, I believe the
public's definition of "jazz" these days might be
any recording with a horn or horns in the
arrangement. And any recording with violin(s)
would be "easy listening."
   In a somewhat similar vein, a lot of the folks
I know who came up during the '60s have no
appreciation of acoustic guitar or other stringed
acoustic instruments such as banjo, ukulele,
autoharp, Celtic harp, mandolin and the like. If
there's no electric guitar, it just doesn't move
'em.
   Also: I often wonder whether today's young
folks who listen to hip-hop and rap will have
their own "oldies" stations as we of the '60s do
... and will folks who perform in senior citizens
homes be rapping and scratching and playing only
bass and digital drums in the future? These and
many more questions occur to me in my old age ...

BOB'S RAPPIN' OLD-AGE BLUES
By Bob Loomis (c) 2006

I got the old-age blues
can't shake my booty anymore.
I sit here rockin'
but the rollin' just ain't hap'nin' like before.
Gonna get me an AK-47
Shuffle down to the rest-home dining room
make the dishes crash and rattle
with my automatic boom-boom-boom!

Bob Loomis
Concord CA