[Dixielandjazz] re: letter to the editor / Orange County Classic Jazz Festival

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Mon Aug 14 11:17:50 PDT 2006

TOM WRITES:

Please let's not lose perspective. There would be no festival without John
Diebald and Connie Baker. Neither of them happen to be close friends  of
mine
but I doubt if either of them get up in the morning deciding to  irritate
people that day. .................only a break-even venture for the love of
the music. Beating these  people up may not be as appropriate as first
thanking them followed by a  suggestion on how
to improve it.

How true, Tom.  This is in NO way disrespecting Judy's perception that she
was "yelled at" by John.  Whether or not this was John's intention, it was
certainly perceived as such by Judy.  And "perception is our reality."

Perhaps an increased sensitivity to the ADA requirements will result from
this being called to public attention--not only for the W/C bound but for
all with disabilities.

Another writer noted that last year two volunteers were publicly chastised.
THIS year I heard several announcements from the stage  to "Please thank the
volunteers, without whom this festival would not be possible" (Not exact
quotes, but the intent is correct.)

I must add that the three festival directors--Connie and Larry Baker and
John Diebold-- deliver one of the highest quality festivals that we have
ever attended.  We look forward to this particular festival every year
because it is so darn well done.  (And I am not related to any of them
either, nor do we know them outside of this festival!)

The quality of the musicians is consistently excellent,  and their attention
to all details of the production is ongoing.  They don't ask for time or
effort from any of the rest of the people involved in putting on this
festival that they don't ask of themselves....and then some.  I do imagine
that to run this the way they do that boundaries have to be pretty well
defined and maintained.

My Best to Judy and the "Wonder Dog Fred,"  her Assistance Dog who takes in
all the details as they go zipping around in Judy's electric W/C!

Jane Lynch
janie39 at socal.rr.com