[Dixielandjazz] Letter to the Editor

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sun Aug 13 15:40:22 PDT 2006

This serves as an opportunity for me to mention something else people
sometimes don't think of.  You can be handicapped and not need the use of a
walker or a wheelchair.

My son is 27 years old and looks perfectly fine.  However, two years ago
this coming November he had scoliosis surgery.  He went through 8 hours of
surgery to remove 6 discs and a rib.  Then he went through another twelve
hours of surgery to put in the hardware to straighten out a 123-degree curve
in his spine as much as possible.

Most days he's okay, but there are times when his back is extremely sore,
and he can't get around all that well.  So he has a handicapped sticker.
Most days he doesn't use it, but on those days when he's hurting, he does.

Hal Vickery