[Dixielandjazz] Re: Elevator music - Jazz?

Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 10:05:22 PDT 2006

  Larry, I'm here ... Here's my today's example
of a modern manifestation of Attention Deficit:
Every year our band has a potluck and music
mini-fest at which we and our musical friends
(those who aren't gigging that day) play. This
year's is our 10th annual. Just this morning I
and my daughter discovered that because she
didn't really read the e-mails I sent out in June
and July, nor really register it when we talked
about it, she booked a camping trip for her
family on the Geezerpalooza date and they won't
be able to attend. She'd assumed it would be in
September, like always ... big disappointment all
the way around.
   I find, by the way, that often people really
don't read e-mail carefully either ... often miss
key info because they just can't afford the extra
10 seconds it takes to really read one. Not just
my daughter, but people in our band who either
don't read e-mail more than once a week or if
they check it, don't really take in the pertinent
info. I frequently am asked by one or another
band member "What time are we playing Saturday?
When are we supposed to be there?" even though we
have a private band group on Yahoo where I
communicate all those things well in advance and
the day before any gig ...
   I think it's all because actually there seems
to be too much info circulating and nobody really
wants to try to take it all in ... if we lived in
a tiny Mexican village such as the ones I saw on
a recent trip, we'd be hungry for contact, gossip
and any sort of entertainment other than swatting
mosquitos (I did see a couple of satellite
antennas on thatched-roof shacks in those
villages) ... but we live in the age of info
overkill (and, curiously, underkill all at the
same time in terms of important details) ... it's
such a complex subject I think it would take a
couple of volumes of studies and analysis to try
to unravel it all. I'm sure the people who really
run things would like us to stay anesthetized and
IMHO TV plays a huge role, whether by design or
by default or both  ... OKOM is our only hope!
;^)

Bob Loomis
Concord CA

--- "Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis"