[Dixielandjazz] Chris Botti

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 10 08:48:40 PDT 2006

> dixielandtom at comcast.net (Tom Bengtsson) asks
>
> I am looking for suggestions.  Chris Botti is bringing his smooth jazz to
> Northern California this month.  My interest is mostly TRAD and OKUM but would
> hate to miss someone of exceptional ability.  I enjoyed the technique of
> Arturo Sandoval but my ears were not in tune for his play list.   Please give
> me your suggestions.

Hi Tom:

Chris Botti (in my opinion and that of several of my trumpet playing
friends) is also a musician of exceptional ability. Beautiful tone and
command of the horn. He can play exciting jazz as well as most players today
but has become a smoother, probably to make long green.

That being said, he has a very laid back style, slow, soft, smooth jazz. It
may or may not be to your liking. But, what the hell, if he is in  your
neighborhood, Pleasanton or Walnut Creek, why not go see for yourself?

BTW, great music to make love by when the lights are low, you've shared a
bottle of California Cabernet and your companion has dreamy eyes.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone