[Dixielandjazz] Re: was Mel Brooks/ now farting :))

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Tue Aug 8 11:13:00 PDT 2006

Sorry, Don, they say the camera never lies, but yours seems to have done.
The name of the Danish "village" is MIDDELFART. In 1973 it had 16 250
inhabitants. I haven't got a Danish dictionary, and Danish does differ from
Norwegian a little. As far as I can tell, FART means in the above context
LANE as in shipping lane, and the town got its name from the fact that it
was an intermediate landing place in a ferry lane.

In Norwegian FART means SPEED, and SMELL means BANG!, and there's this
(in)famous story about the Norwegian who witnessed a traffic accident in
England and explained to the police "the two cars came with a great fart and
then there was a big smell".

Musical content: "Tickle Britches Blues" Richard M. Jones

Cheers

Bob Smith