[Dixielandjazz] Re: Strange Gig

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Sun Aug 6 13:09:03 PDT 2006

It was way back in the early 1950's that this happened. We had started a
band at the firm where I'd started work after leaving school. One day the
trumpet player asked me if I could sub with the other band that he played
with that evening as the trombonist had suddenly been taken ill. I agreed
and was asked to meet 7:30 p.m. for the dance at a school hall starting 8
p.m. The place was deserted when I got there except for the band leader. We
introduced ourselves and he handed me the trombone folio. I looked through
the list of tunes, and though I knew most of them (Chicago style dixieland,
mostly) I'd never actually played any of them. I told the leader I'd do my
best, but definitely no solos! He agreed.
As we were talking and tuning up I became aware of a hum behind me. I turned
round, and to my amazement, there were about 400 teenagers all waiting
eagerly for us to strike up. This was an audience about ten times larger
than I had played to before.
Anyway, 8 p.m. sharp we began to play, and I was fairly comfortable in an
anonymous rôle, until suddenly in the middle of one tune, the leader points
to me to take a solo. Off I went, and somewhere about the middle of my
second chorus I became aware of a gang of youngsters grouped round the end
of my slide staring wide-eyed and open-mouthed at me. I managed to carry on
in spite of the panic that had gripped me - were they going to lynch me, or
just demand my immediate removal? Was I relieved when they clapped and
cheered as I finished.

Cheers

Bob Smith