[Dixielandjazz] Re: Strange Gig

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Aug 4 14:56:41 PDT 2006

That brings up another funny story.  A good friend of mine "Larry" played
with me in the AF band. (Music content)  It seems that his room mate and he
saw the Johnny Carson show the night that one of these guys came on and
offered to ordain anyone who wrote him and he would do it free for a limited
amount of time.  I had gone to grade school through high school with Norman.
Well Larry and "Norman" sent their names into this guy and got their
ordination papers.  Larry and I thought it was a great joke until "Norman"
showed up to marry my wife's brother and his girlfriend.  It seems that the
ordination was perfectly legal in Missouri.  Norman now teaches in a local
College (diploma mill/trade school) and has a Doctorate (????).  I don't
know if he still marries people.

Due to the ability of almost anything calling themselves a school, religion
or church to get a charter in Missouri they are legal.  The State has to
recognize the diplomas if they are Chartered in Missouri.  There was an
outfit here in St. Louis for awhile that called themselves "The College
without Walls".   Fortunately most people are honest.  The great thing about
music and musicians is that degrees really don't count when you pick up a
horn.
Larry
St. Louis