[Dixielandjazz] Memorable Gigs...slighty raunchy don't read if you're easily offended

Artwoo at aol.com Artwoo at aol.com
Thu Aug 3 22:39:36 PDT 2006

Hi Folks:
Here are a few that I recall:
1. Playing for a nudist camp...standing in line for the buffet, I can still
visualize the young lady who was dishing out the jello salad. What a
combination.
At the same nudist camp we played a Paul Jones mixer dance...what a bouncy
dance that was.

2. Playing for Carol Channing's show: She had to do a quick wardrobe change
behind an onstage screen. The conductor warned the band (we were on risers  in
the back of the stage) to look the other way when Carol changed. Of course,
the trumpet section band disregarded his instructions and were treated to a
well  built unabashed view of a very classy lady. She gave me that famous
beguiling  smile of hers, which I will never forget.

3. A fellow died of a heart attack in the parking lot. My leader
accidentally drove over his body (it was dark). I was waving madly at him to  stop, but
he thought I was waving good-night. My boss said he thought he was  driving
over one of those cement blocks and accelerated to drive over it, not  knowing he
was mashing a dead body.

Regards,
Art